Hispanic Heritage Month 2026
Hi everyone! Ok, we're back from hiatus, really looking forward to diving in to Hispanic Heritage Month. From supernatural horror and magical realism (which have both been staples of Latin American Literature for a while now) to plenty of modern stuff and some classics I've neglected, this should be a great month.
First, here are some books I've loved in the past:
* * *
**A masterpiece of supernatural horror. You're not going to totally understand what's happening, but you're going to know that whatever it is, it's viscerally uncomfortable in the best way**
*A wonderful and personal novel about returning to your childhood home and maybe searching for some of the magic that was once there*
**Calling him one of the greatest short story writers ever is damning him with faint praise. One of the greatest artists to ever put pen to paper, period**
* * *
So here's my goals for this month. As always, let me know if you want to read along and talk about any of these at the end of the month!
"The Savage Detectives" by Roberto Bolaño (trans. Natasha Wimmer), 1998 (2007)
Been on my list forever, never had time for it. Finally gonna get it read, I'm excited
"The Haunting of Alejandra" by V. Castro (2023)
Modern horror story inspired by the folk legend of La Llorona, the crying woman. Should be great
"Monstrilio" by Gerardo Sámano Córdova (2023)
A literary horror story about family and commitment and all the lines we're willing to cross for our loved ones
"Gods of Jade and Shadow" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (2019)
Slowly working my way through Moreno-Garcia's catalogue, I swear she writes faster than I can read them. She can be hit or miss for me, but this pre-Columbian fantasy novel is one of the ones that put her on the map, so I'm excited
"Time's Agent" by Brenda Penado (2024)
I'm a huge sucker for a good time travel story, especially the ones that are less about the adventure and more an extended metaphor for all the mistakes and regrets we have in life. This book is supposed to be a good one!
"Beasts of Carnaval" by Rosália Rodrigo (2025)
A recently-freed slave manages to get into the legendary Carnaval, a bacchanalian festival filled with Taino (pre-Columbian folklore) magic in search of her brother who visited with their former master years ago and never returned. If that synopsis doesn't intrigue you, huh, you and I have different taste in books
"The Dangers of Smoking in Bed" by Mariana Enriquez (trans. Megan McDowell; short fiction; collected 2009)
Enriquez's "Our Share of the Night" was one of my absolute favorite books I read last year, just an incredible novel. I'm excited to get to read some of her earlier short fiction!
"But Not Too Bold" by H. Pueyo (2025)
Queer, dark horror romantasy with Latina protagonists and an obvious Bluebeard reference in the title? Sign me up
"Monarca" by Eva Aridjis and Leopoldo Gout (young adult; illustrated novel; 2022)
A "modern fable" about a young woman who turns into a monarch butterfly and follows their migration. I've already sneaked a peak at the illustrations, and they are breathtaking
* * *
So here we go. Should be an awesome month!
Comments
Post a Comment